Wine Tourism in Rías Baixas

In wine tourism of Galicia, the Rias Baixas is the home of one of the most well-known grapes in all of Spain, the Albariño grape. The great importance of this region has resulted in a wide range of wine tourism activities in Rías Baixas

The Designation of Origin Rías Baixas

Isla de Arousa Galicia

Contacta con nosotros

Nombre*

Email*

Teléfono*

Mensaje

At the western end of the Iberian Peninsula, located in the provinces of Pontevedra and La Coruña, we find the well-known region of Rías Baixas which are divided into five sub-areas:  Val de Salnés, O Rosal, Condado de Tea and Soutomaior in the province of Pontevedra, and Ribeira do Ulla, in the north of this province and south of Coruña.

This is a region subjected to Atlantic climate forces which implies mild temperatures both in the winter and the summer, with a relatively rainy spring and winter and a low risk of frosts which is suitable for the growth of grapevines and explains the rise of viniculture in the region, making it the most important wine region in Galicia.

Wine and grapes of Rías Baixas

The wines produced in the Rías Baixas are usually whites, dry and floral with a intense fruity taste, as well as a refined and prolonged aftertaste.  Some of the most prominent varieties are:

Albariño

These wines are produced with 100% of this grape variety, normally they have a straw-colored yellow of golden and green glint with a floral and fruity aroma, fresh, balanced and harmonious.

The “Ruta del Albariño” (Albariño route) was created for the enjoyment of these types of wines.

White wines

These are wines produced in the Rías Baixas Designation of Origin using at least 70% of the Albariño variety, while other admitted varieties are used for the remaining 30%

Sparkling wines

These wines are gaining great prestige due to their small production and quality.  They are produced with some of the white grape varieties of the region and should comply with the requirements of the Regulating Council of the Designation of Origin.

White grapes: Albariño, Loureira blanca or Marqués, Treixadura, Caiño blanco, Torrontés and Godello

Reds: Caiño tinto, Castañal, Espadeiro, Loureira tinta, Sousón, Mencía, Brancellao and Pedral.

Some of the wine tourism activities in the Rías Baixas

Wine tourism in Rías Baixas offers a wide range of activities adapted to all tastes and budgets.

In the Rias Baixas wine route visits to a great number of wine cellars can be organized, where the wine tourist could learn about the grape varieties in the region, emphasizing the famous Albariño, and the wine production process as well as sampling some of the varieties.

There are also many lodging possibilities, from the typical Galician constructions called pazos (manor houses), some of them with their own vineyards or even beautiful camellias gardens, to old textile factories and more modern complexes with spa, golf, and other amenities.

Santiago de Compostela

Camelias

The gastronomy choices are practically endless as well.  There is the possibility of sampling the most renowned dishes of the rich Galician gastronomy, such as the shellfish, fish, meats and cheeses paired with some of the wines of the Rías Baixas.

The wine tourism options in Rías Baixas are also extended to the so-called “active tourism”, where travelers take part in activities such as hiking to some of the observation points of the region, like Monte Lobeira or Santa Tecla, or discovering the petro glyphs of Monte Tetón. Also, the boat trips on the estuary tasting their famed mussels with albariño wine, are another of the wine tourism activities in the region.

The Rías Baixas will not disappoint you; dreamlike landscapes, storybook vineyards and incredible lodgings are some of the wonders that will catch your eye in the region.

We await you!

Las cookies pueden ayudarnos a mejorar nuestros servicios. Si continúas navegando entendemos que aceptas que las usemos. Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies. Info> | X